Tuesday, February 21, 2012

F is for Family

Today at school we learned about families...and had a lot of fun doing it!


We started the day with some letter work...F for family, of course!


Since Lainey was a little late, Owen got to sit in her seat for a while.  Obviously, he was pretty excited.

During calendar time we talked about Adam and Eve, the first family on the earth!  For show and tell, the kids each brough a picture of their family.  

We hopped right into a math lesson, counting how many people are in each family.  Then we counted how many girls/ boys are in each family, and made a little graph.  We found out that Delainey has the most girls in her family and Max has the most boys!


We had fun reading This is my Family by Mercer and Gina Mayer.  It's such a cute book, and talked about how each member of a family is special.  It was perfect for our group!

We also talked about how each person has their own role in a family...mommies, daddies, and kiddos, too!  We talked about how we need to help eachother and show love, and dicussed specific ways to do both.

For our snacks, we made "family trees" out of green grapes and pretzel sticks.  Joseph the genius impressed me by making his trees three dimensional, with the pretzel sticks standing upright...it was pretty cute!



While the kids ate, I read All Kinds of Families by Mary Ann Hoberman and MArc Boutavant.

For our craft, the kids each made their own family trees.  Using the picture they'd brought from home, each child (with a little help) cut out the members of their family, glued them on some apples, and attached them to their very colorful trees.  I love how they all turned out!  








For playtime I set up a few "family responsibility" stations around the family room so the kids could role play.  They had a lot of fun and it was cute to see them trying out some new chores!

Max and Joseph tried their hands at swaddling babies.  I think Max is changing his baby's diaper before he wraps him up!


Joseph must be singing his baby a lullaby...


While the men took care of the babies, Delainey whipped up some yummy food in the kitchen...


...before getting to work with her tools.  I wonder what she was building!


Once Max got his baby to sleep, he tackled the ironing.  



(I later found the babies wrapped up carefully and stuffed under the pillows on the couch...I guess those two need a few more lessons in babysitting!)



No comments:

Post a Comment