Preschool was a real Treat This Tuesday! We focused on turkeys and being thankful, both of which start with the letter “T”! We started off the morning playing with some homemade flubber just for fun…and then we transitioned into the living room for circle time! Max said the opening prayer, Joseph held the scripture spotlight, and Lainey checked our weather. We sang the days of the week song, did show and tell about with things we are thankful for, and then practiced the rhyme, “I’m a little teapot”. Next we talked about what thanksgiving means, who gives us our blessings, etc.
After getting our wiggles out to some fun songs with instruments, we did the following at singing time:
I am Thankful
(sung to "Where is Thumbkin?")
I am Thankful, I am Thankful
Yes I am, Yes I am
I’m Thankful for my friends
I’m thankful for my kin
Yes I am, Yes I am
(Explain that kin is another word for family! )
Turkey Dinner
(Tune: Are You Sleeping?)
Turkey dinner, turkey dinner,
Gather round, gather round,
Who will get the drumstick?
Yummy, yummy drumstick!
Turkey Pokey
It was like the Hokey Pokey, only we did our right and left wings, our beaks, and our tailfeathers. The kids all got a kick out of this…and I did too! After singing up an appetite, we ventured to the kitchen to make our “turkey muffins.” Really, this didn’t turn out as cute as I had hoped (I forgot the beak!) but…you can kind of see where we were going with this. A banana-cinnamon (egg-less) muffin, with a grape head, mini chocolate chip eyes, and apple slices for the tail. Joseph was really the only one who wanted to make the turkey…Max and Delainey were too hungry! : )
After snack time we read The Berenstein Bear’s Giant Pumpkin…it’s all about the real meaning of Thanksgiving. It’s a cute book from my childhood, and the kids were attentive during story time. Then we went and made our craft…thankful turkey headbands! Everyone did a great job gluing on the eyes, taping on the feathers, and thinking of things they were thankful for.
Then it was time to practice writing…we practiced writing T’s, and then we did another cutting and coloring activity.
Then it was time to PLAY! We all ran outside since the weather was beautiful, and enjoyed some fresh air! When we came inside, we sat in a circle and played “hot potato” thankful game…it went like this:
Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving,
What am I thankful for,
It's your turn to share with us,
1, 2, 3, 4!
Whoever had the ball at the end said something they were thankful for.
Next we sang the goodbye song, and played until the moms came.
It was a wonderful day of preschool…I am so THANKFUL for Delainey, Joseph and Max! : )
You guys did so many fun, cute things. I loved the headbands and especially the turkey muffins. You will have to share that recipe with me. Did Joseph eat his? I like the hot potato game idea too.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Sorry I have not posted yet. Will try to do that soon.
ReplyDelete